Thursday, March 24

MUSIC BURGER (Mmm, tasy!)

OK, so from time to time, people will ask me what I'm "listening to," or, what's in "heavy rotation" in my musical life. Most of the time, I'm pretty guarded about it.

I'll tell you why. (Not that anyone asked.)

Music, like the food we like to eat (or worse, who we like to eat), is a matter of an incredibly personal nature. There's no accounting for what we like -- it's a combination of conscious and unconscious. Much like dining out to eat, just as I wouldn't shame a friend by saying, "Eww... you're going to eat THAT?" I also wouldn't scold someone just because they like, say... Celine Dion. (Although that is an almost unforgivable sin. Almost... but that's another story.) I've seen people dip their salty French fries in their frosty cold chocolate shake, and I've personally enjoyed odd dishes like Brie and mango quesadillas, and Ethiopian food. (No jokes, please. That's so '80s, a la Space Shuttle Challenger disaster jokes!) So who am I to judge?

Like any other art form, the genres I claim to dislike are actually the ones I know the least about. Beyond Dolly Parton, the Dixie Chicks (whom I adore mostly on principle) and Reba McIntyre, I must confess ignorance when it comes to country music. But I'm continually wowed when I'm exposed to it. I'm not saying I actually LIKE it, just that it's full of surprises. Country (or Country-Western) has a deep-rooted history full of tradition and a time-honored focus on actual talent. Nashville is one of those towns where you're actually expected to PLAY AN INSTRUMENT! (The horror!) While the twang of most country singers makes my short'n'curlies fall out, I think singers in this genre have the most natural (and/or finely trained) vocalists of any field out there. I still won't listen to it for more than 5 minutes, but my respect for it grows with each time I'm exposed to it.

[NOTE: I love, love, love me some SheNayNay Twain, but let's face it: She's NOT really country. When the Osmonds sang, "I'm a little bit country," even THAT was more believable than Shania being labeled a Country-Western Star. Still, those are some pipes she's got.]

So here, now that I've rambled on and on, boring you to death, are my current play lists, as of 3.24.05:

SINGLES (in no particular order)
1. "Since You Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson
2. "Breathe" by Erasure
3. "Goodies" by Ciara
4. "Nasty Girl" by Inaya Day
5. "What R U Waiting For" Gwen Stefani
6. "Breed" by Humate
7. "I Like It" by Decibel feat. LaVeetra
8. "Cities In Dust" by Siouxsie & Banshees
9. "Precious Box" by George Michael
10. "Shake It (Like a White Girl)" by Jesse Jaymes

REMIXES (in no particular order)
1. "Easy As Life" [Offer Nissim Mix] Deborah Cox
2. "Mother and Father" [Peter's ReInvention Mix] Madonna
3. "Yeah vs Toxic" [White Label] Britney Spears vs Usher feat. Ludacris, Lil' John
4. "Since You Been Gone" [Jason Nevins Mixshow] Kelly Clarkson
5. "Left Outside Alone" [Jason Nevins Club Mix] Anastacia
6. "Do I Look Like a Slut?" [Peter's Dirty Ho Mix] Avenue D
7. "Whatchulookinat?" [Peter Rauhofer Unreleased Mix] Whitney Houston
8. "Anything" [Club Mix] Offer Nissim feat. Mya
9. "Nasty Girl" [Rauhofer's Sleaze Mix] Inaya Day
10. "The World Is Mine" [Deep Dish Remix] David Guetta

ALBUMS (in no particular order; but only 5 at the moment)
1. "Poetica" by iiO
2. "Live@Roxy4" (2 discs) mixed by Peter Rauhofer
3. "Divas To the Dancefloor, Vol. 2" by Various Artists
4. "This Is Not a Test" by Missy Elliot
5. "Songs" by Luther Vandross

THE SONG I LISTEN TO, BUT WOULDN'T WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW I DO:
"The Music That Makes Me Dance" from the B'way Soundtrack to FUNNY GIRL

PARTING THOUGHT:
"Sing like you know the words...
Love like your heart has never been broken...and
Dance like it matters!"

No comments: