Tuesday, February 10

... IN A GOOD WAY?


I had an odd, new experience at school today: during my first (2 o'clock) class, I had a frank, but helpful discussion with a fellow classmate. She's one of those super students, doing her BA and her Credential at the same time, Junior Year... we'll leave her name out of it.

This is the 4th week of class... just bear that in mind for this next part.

I got to my next class (Computing In the Classroom, or something with "Instruction" in the title). I look up, and see the same girl. "Hi," I sheepishly mutter.

"I was wondering when you were going to notice," she says with a smile.

I apologize, and head over to her lab station. We chat, laugh, share some war stories, and then she mentions that she's not surprised I hadn't noticed her in this class. "You're a superstar in all your classes." (Remember the way she worded this, for later.)

"In a good way?" I ask, nervously.

"In a great way," she adds, comforting me.

Flash forward to my last class of the day (Major Critical Theories of English Literature). I walk in... guess who. I'm not sure I actually blushed, but I felt my face getting hotter. This young lady was in 3 out of 5 of my classes - all on the same day, no less - and it took me a month to notice.

"Uh," I stammered, trying not to seem like the ass I was.

"In all your classes," I remember her saying, but I hear it now... for the first time. Her smile is a more ironic, "Do you get it now, smart-guy?" type.

Needless to say, we're BFFs now... I wonder if there's anyone else I'm missing.

No comments: