Friday, June 13

JUNE TUNES

Here, in no particular order, are some of the tunes rockin' my world this month:

Viva La Vida [Album Version] Coldplay - While I'm not a huge Coldplay fan, I do love this first cut from their new album. The lyrics don't make much sense (as usual), but the sweeping melody and intricate arrangement make for a great listening experience.

When I Grow Up [Album Version] Pussycat Dolls - Also a new cut, from a new album. I liked this track until I heard them perform it live. It went from sounding like a hot, garage-band electro stomper, to sounding like a bag of cats drowning. Oh well...

American Boy [Album Version] Estelle feat Kanye West - I have a love/hate thing going with this song. I love the groove, the vocal (even though it is out of tune, and way repetitive) and love Estelle... But I hate Kanye West.

Giggling Again For No Reason [Album Version] Alanis Morissette - Yet another established artist drops a new album, with mixed results. Part electro, part breakbeat, and all Alanis.

No Air [Album Version] Jordin Sparks feat Chris Brown - This one took a while to grow on me. It wasn't until I heard it on "So You Think You Can Dance," that I fully appreciated this track.

Have I Got A Girl For You [Original Broadway Recording] from Company - With all the news about Gay Marriage this month, all I've been able to think about are the lyrics from the first half of this song: "Wadda ya like, you like coming home to a kiss, somebody with a smile at the door? Wadda ya like, ya like indescribable bliss? Then wadda ya wanna get married for?" It goes on like this, with comic results.

Prince Ali [French Version] from Aladdin - Yes, this is cheesy. Yes, liking this song (and this version) is lame. But there's something so hilarious about the French version of this soundtrack.

Boom Boom Ba [Album Version] Metisse - One of my favorite downtempo songs, from "Dead Like Me." This song is back on my radar since I was given Season 2 DVDs as a birthday gift.

Delirious [Album Version] Mario Spinetti - I forget how I first came across this artist. I'm not into all of his work (some of it is just too dense), but this one is a slice of heavenly vocal pie.

No comments: