Sunday, March 9

NERD ALERT

I was browsing the iTunes store the other day, as I often do, and I stumbled across the list of top TV downloads. Included on that list, was something called Robotech: Shadow Chronicles. Yes, 20 years after Robotech aired in the United States, they finally made a new chapter.

For those of you not in the know, Robotech was the American version of a very popular Japanese cartoon... actually, the American version was a scaled-down version of several Japanese sagas. For whatever reason, they decided to streamline (and dumb-down) the original content into three mini-sagas, which aired in succession on American TV. The shows were as popular in the U.S. as they were overseas, spawning a line of toys and graphic novels. (Although, in the interest of accuracy, graphic novelizations existed before the show, too.)

I, for one, loved the show... although watching it now, I don't quite understand what it was I saw in the show. I get a warm, nostalgic feeling when I watch clips on You Tube, but I'm not rushing out to rent old seasons, or purchase the new one. I did, however find this clip:



Not the greatest moment in the American run of the show, but a great example of what foreign animation sounds and looks like when its been Yanki-ized.

No comments: