Wednesday, June 20

(JUST A) LITTLE BIT MORE


If you've seen the last round of TV ads for Target, you've heard (Just A) Little Bit More by Jamie Lidell. It's a pretty funky jam (not really running music, for those of you who jog). And when I say funky, I mean toe-jam, old gym sock, crusty undies funky. (Attention white people: those are all positive descriptors when it comes to the level of funk in one's music.)

I felt the need to single out Mr. Lidell (who you can learn more about here, at his website) because he's white. And I mean, nerdy white (see photos above). I'm not saying white people can't be funky... they can. I just think we make such a big deal about white artists like Eminem and Robin Thicke (who was on Oprah, not once, but twice) and elevate them to levels of amazing success and power, when all they've done is re appropriate cultural elements usually associated with people of color. But not Jamie Lidell. He's funky in his own special way, and that derserves a little bit more: more attention, more praise and more fans.

You can get his music on iTunes, so get on, people!

No comments: