Thursday, June 7

TV REPORT (The Kickoff)

Well, the first full week of summer TV programming is winding down, and things are shaping-up to be pretty interesting. Yes, I know interesting isn't a very descriptive words; it is almost non-committal in nature... but that's what I'm after. This week in TV viewing served up some major disappoints (like CBS' Creature Comforts) and some major laughs (like Bravo's Kathy Griffin: My Life On the D-List).

But what has taken me by surprise is how quickly I became totally, head-over-heels addicted to Fox's So You Think You Can Dance. Its rare to see a reality show that is both compelling and entertaining, without resorting to the bag of cheap tricks most shows use. (Think Survivor, The Apprentice or The Amazing Race, or other shows that have overly-dramatic back-story videos, or special "all-star" versions and other stunt casting.) No, SYTYCD relies on a talented group of contestants, some of the best judges around (love Mary's laugh, can't get enough) and to top it all off... the music.

Ah, yes, the music. It makes sense that a dance show would have good music, but the producers of SYTYCD go out of their way to feature the hottest, newest jams, night after night. (And I'm not just saying this because the music on this week's show also appears on my personal music must-have list for May.) Its no secret that I'm a music junkie, so a show like this is like a double-whammy.

Or possibly a triple-whammy: TV, music and (sorta) cute guys. I think the cast of previous seasons had more eye candy, but this season is shaping up to be pretty watchable. As I sit here watching the Top 20 slowly coming into focus, I find myself caring more and more about the dancer; rooting for favorites, and actually making a personal connection with the show. I wouldn't have thought a fluffy summer show could have this kind of impact, but... well, here we are.

And here we go...

No comments: