Tuesday, September 25

FALL TV PREVIEW (Part 2)

There are plenty of new shows debuting on network television, and a few caught my eye. I've already watched two of them, but the third, unwatched show is the one I'm most excited about. (I'm also looking forward to the return of House tonight, and enjoyed the return of Heroes last night.)

Kid Nation (CBS, Wednesdays) I'll admit, I was only midly interested in watching this show. The hype surrounding it was deafening, and that usually turns me off. But then, two major pop cultural factors came into play: first, my cousin Sandra (the one with the twin daughters), gave the show a glowing reccomendation over dinner the other night; second, Elisabeth Hasslebeck (of the "world is flat" show, The View) voiced her opposition to the show... well, now I had to watch it. And I must say, I loved this show. I'm not all that into reality competition shows, but this one rocks! It, like many other reality show, exploits its participants. And the fact that the participants are kids would normally upset me - I don't think kids should be exposed to this world. But as evidence that childhood has changed over the last few decades, these kids know how to play the reality TV game as expertly as any adult. Overall grade: B+

Chuck (NBC, Mondays) The best thing this show has going for it is the fact that its on before Heroes. With nothing else to watch, and a hour to kill, I gave this geeky show a try. And talk about entertaining! has a premise that sounds pretty stretched beyond the limits of reason... and those limits were put to the test during the first episode. While several other shows seem cut from the same cloth Chuck seems like the most likely to catch on. CBS's The Big Bang Theory comes across as too cartoony, and will most likely not find an audience. The CW's Reaper boasts a better, more off-beat premise, and I might give it a try. But all three geek out of water storylines won't survive the onslaught of new show cancellations. I'm curious as to what will happen will all three shows, but for now, I'm only watching Chuck. My main fear with this show is how quickly this premise will wear thin. The writing could use a little punching-up, but I'm reserving judgement, as most pilots aren't indicative of the final product, when it comes to television shows.

Pushing Daisies (ABC, Wednesdays) This show is the most creative, visually interesting new show on TV this fall. Its on the schedule up against Kid Nation, but CBS is running KN again on Saturdays (at least for now), so my money is on Daisies. Normally, high-concept shows don't catch on with the general public, but they're usually not done well enough, or in an accessible manner. (Think Wonderfalls or Cop Rock.) But Daisies boasts a likeable cast, amazing visual effects and what seems like solid acting. I first became aware of this show when I saw a preview at the movies. This was brilliant move on ABC's part, as Daisies appeals to the savvy Friday-night movie crowd. The show premieres October 3, and I can't wait.

To read the first part of the Fall TV Preview, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jimmy from Kid Nation is my fave! Too bad he went home on account of being 8. I've tried pulling up that hilarious bit from Talk Soup where he's crying and they make fun of him. Can't find it.