Tuesday, October 2

ASK vs GOOGLE

If you're a frequent visitor to this blog, you know I pretty much always have a unique image to go with the all my posts. What you might not know is where I get these images from. The two main sources I draw from are Flickr and Google Images. Regardless of how much Photoshop work happens, I find all the images I need from these two sources.

But recently, Ask.com (previously known as Ask Jeeves) dumped a ton of money into advertising its make-over and "improved" services. Their commercials dog the other search engines, and tout the effectiveness and superiority of their search engine. So, like a curious monkey would, I checked them out.

I'm currently working on my next post, about parking, and parking tickets. (It'll be more interesting than it sound, I swear.) So, I plotzed over to Ask.com, clicked on, "Images," and entered the key term, "parking." Ask.com's results? Page upon page of images of parks. Yes, tons of images of leafy green trees and slides and swings made of that weird plastic.

And to top that off, their so-called improvements made searching for the right image even harder... and maybe even a little more annoying. (Those pop-up style search-in-search windows are so lame.) So after a few tries at narrowing the parameters, I gave up... and went over to Google.

And yes, maybe a post about parking tickets isn't that interesting.

No comments: