Tuesday, April 1

APRIL IS FOR NERDS

It is a sad, sad sign of just how lame (and old) I am, that I'm so excited about Friday nights this month. No, I'm not planning on going out or anything. I'll be staying in, and watching TV. But not just any TV. This month sees the return of two of my favorite TV shows.

Battlestar Galactica enters its fourth, and final season this week. I'm sad to see the show go, but in the end, I think it is what's best: the show can go out on top, and not worry about getting stale, or run-down. I'm looking forward to the resolution of several plot arcs, and answers to several key questions about the show. (The opening credits always mention a Cylon plan... just what is that plan?)

Doctor Who is, hands-down, one of the best imports to American TV in a long time. Never mind the show has been running, in one form or another, for several decades... this newest incarnation rocks, and I can't wait to see what Cycle Four (Season Four to us Yanks) brings.

A couple of thoughts about both shows, both of which will air on Friday nights on the Sci Fi Channel: Both are in their fourth seasons, airing in the fourth month of the year. Nerdy of me to notice, huh? Both shows are re-makes of shows from another era, and both offer fresh, bold perspectives on their respective sub-genres. While both qualify as science fiction, one (BSG) offers a dark, post-modern take on human struggles, while the other (Dr Who) takes a more upbeat, and at times, comical look at man's place in the cosmos.

If it is a Friday night, you'll know where to find me...

1 comment:

Marz said...

Oh, I'll be the one on the 'happy' couch across the coffee tables from you. Yay awesome shows are back!