Friday, November 9

WAR OF THE WEB: NBC vs ABC

I watch a couple of shows online, for various reasons. I'm not always home when TV shows I like are on, and I don't have TiVo, and I'm not a fan of grainy VHS tapes. So I watch 30 Rock, Kid Nation, Pushing Daisies and other shows on their respective networks' web sites.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the strike, but neither ABC, nor NBC posted new versions of these shows. (CBS did, oddly enough.) NBC had technical problems (see my post here), in addition to not updating the content.

So, like any lazy web monkey, I emailed both networks, via their tech support and, "contact us," options.

NBC never responded to my email - not even a lame, form-letter response. But this morning, the technical problem was fixed. I'm not sure if my email had anything to do with it, but I was happy to see the problem fixed.

ABC, on the other hand, sent two email responses within 24 hours. Granted, they were auto-responses, and my question about content was TOTALLY ignored, but points for actually responding.

In the final balance of the equation, I would have to give the edge to ABC. They have better customer service, a better selection of shows (updated or not) and they have the best media player on their web site. The ABC Player is clear, has great audio, can be made full-screen size without compromising quality and has a reasonable ratio of content to commercials.

No comments: