Wednesday, July 18

ADVENTURE IN THE (619)

Planet Unicorn... hey! Good, if last minute, news just came my way. Despite my bah-humbug attitude towards Gay Pride these past few years, I will be going to Pride in San Diego this weekend. My sister (older; flight attendant; lesbian at large) has a layover there, so I'm gonna drive down there, and hoop it up. I have a few friends in S.D., so this should be fun.

Of all the Pride fests I've been to (not including the short-lived, under-attended Simi Valley one), San Diego is probably my favorite. Its late in the summer, so people from all over the country attend; the "official" ones in June (Gay History Month), are all on the same weekends, or worse - on father's day. I mean, given the choice between my dad and hanging out with a bunch of Marys... that's not a difficult choice. During June, it is almost a competition between the major Gay cities (San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and New York) to get the best DJs, the biggest (make that the most D-list) celebs and the biggest crowds. But by the time San Diego rolls around, the competitiveness is out of everyone's systems and we can just...celebrate.

No comments: