Wednesday, July 25

GAYEST EPISODE... EVER?

The most recent episode of Kyle XY (and yes, Marz, I watched it later) revolved around a gay couple at Kyle's high school who are banned from the Spring dance, and the student prejudices and responses that follow.

While I applaud the producers, and certainly ABC Family (the network), for braving such a hot topic, it was handled pretty poorly. I'm not sure what I expected from a show with mediocre writing and heartfelt, but barely believable acting.

Problem #1: They never really showed the "gay" kids. They were pointed at (off screen), and intimated at (at the alternative dance), but they were never dealt with directly. They were talked about, argued about and the subject of much speculation... but why have an episode about gay high school kids, without ever showing them? What are these guys afraid of?

Problem #2: The writing. It was worse than normal. I know, I know... why watch the show? Well, I did give up on this show, a week ago, but Victoria Beckham: Coming To America got canceled (thanks, NBC) and it was late. I mean, like 1 a.m., and I couldn't sleep. But if you're going to spend all this money on a show, shoot on location, take out 15-story high billboards on the side of buildings advertising this show... why no hire some decent writers? Or a decent director?

The only good thing I can say about this episode is that despite this major detour, the main plot actually nudged forward a little. But only a little.

1 comment:

Marz said...

I think the show is so bad that it just sucks you in. ha!