Tuesday, July 31

HIDDEN TREASURES...

After hearing the guys over on the PNSexplosion talk about how much they love the low-rated, critical darling 30 Rock, I decided to check it out for myself. NBC loaded the entire season onto their site, where they can be viewed for free. It took an episode or two for me really get into the show, but I ended up watching all 22 episodes over the course of the last 5 weeks or so. (Oh, do the math, you lazy thing you.)

While Tina Fey and which ever Baldwin brother is in the show were fine, the breakout star of the show is Saturday Night Live alumnus Tracy Morgan. While I actually cannot remember a single skit he did during his time on SNL (143 episodes, according to IMDB), I absolutely loved him in this show.

The writing on 30 Rock (short for 30 Rockefeller Plaza, the address of NBC in New York City) is top-notch, but it is the acting that takes this show to the next level. There are moments where the humor is a little narrow, and wouldn't play outside of true TV and film buffs, but the general appeal of the characters and the story lines are broad enough to draw in a larger audience that it did in its first year. Despite dismal ratings, the network renewed 30 Rock for another season.

I, for one, will be watching.

No comments: