Sunday, August 5

AUGUST TUNES

Here are my music picks - a combination of both new and old - to keep you movin' for the whole month of August, 2007.

Don't Stop The Music [Album Version & More Drama Remix] Rihanna - This young lady is simply unstoppable! Her latest single samples Michael Jackson's Wanna Be Startin' Something, and rocks from start to finish. When I walk on the treadmill, I listen to this song 2 or 3 times in just one session... and yes, its that good.

Everybody's Changing Keane - I picked this track up back when it first came out in 2004 (or was it 2005?). But the true brilliance, and dark beauty of this song didn't sink in until my trip to San Diego last month, on the drive down.

Get Me Bodied [Album or Extended Version] Beyoncé - First off, props to Beyoncé for making the video for this song a tribute to all things Fosse, lifting the look and dance from Sweet Charity. This little ditty bumps and thumps, and manages to jam with only a rhythm section, and Beyoncé's vocals.

Get The Party Started Dame Shirley Bassey - Even though she now goes by the title of, "Dame," Ms. Bassey is still a classy broad. She manages to turn the out the jams on this cover of P!nk's party anthem. (You go, Dame Bassey!)

Perfidia Linda Ronstadt - For some reason, this tune (from the Mambo Kings soundtrack) is my summer, lay by the pool Latin groove. I'm not really a Linda Ronstadt fan - she's not anywhere in the vicinity of my typical interests, but I love her Spanglish version of this song.

She's Like The Wind [DJ Skribble Remix] Lumidee feat Tony Sunshine - This track should be credited to Tony Sunshine, as Lumidee only performs for about 20 to 30 seconds of the 3:44 duration of this track. I couldn't stand the original, Patrick Swayze version of this song, and DJ Skribble is a major tool to a sickening degree... but I actually really dig this song. Sunshine turns in a solid vocal, and Skribble delivers some phatty breakbeat styles.

U & Ur Hand P!nk - Another tune I've had since the album, I'm Not Dead, first came out, but it has found its way back onto my iPod. P!nk really struggled to deliver, artistically or sales-wise, after her smash album, Mizundastood. It took a couple of albums, but she's back on her A-game with this feminist bar anthem.

Way I Are Timbaland feat Keri Hilson & D.O.E. - I was bummed to find out that McDonalds had licensed this song for one of its "I'm Lovin' It" ads, but even with my strong dislike of the Golden Arches, I find myself listening to this jam each and every time I get in the car.

Welcome To My Truth Anastacia - This song is from her last album (the one before the premature release of her "Greatest Hits" discs and DVD), and somehow I missed it, completely overlooked it. I love Anastacia's voice - it is one of a kind. But this song touched me on a deeper, more profound level than any pop song has in years.

No comments: