Tuesday, August 21

TNT's "THE CLOSER" CAN SUCK IT!

As I've blogged in the past, TNT's The Closer has claimed to be, "the most watched basic cable show of all time." What I didn't say, is how much posturing and puffery like this fails to impress me. No, let's be truthful - it annoys the crap out of me.

First of all, this type of advertising (also used in marketing movies) is just plain ol' lame. I mean, if you don't want to see a film or TV show, will the fact that it did well in the ratings or box office change your mind about wanting to see it? I don't know about you, but the "success" of a project does not change my mind... if I have no interest in seeing something, it doesn't matter how well it does, or how many people it dupes into watching it. (I mean, I despised every minute of Titanic, but that won several awards and made millions of dollars... which didn't make me like it any more.)

Well, at least now, I can rest a little easier. It seems as though TNT's The Closer has been knocked off its pedestal by Disney's High School Musical 2. While I don't care for this particular brand of entertainment (the music is too canned for my tastes), I'm happy to see Disney isn't trying to brag or cash in on this record-breaking event.

No comments: