Monday, August 20

TV REPORT (Finale, Pt. 2)

And now, for the final installment of my Summer TV Report: the stuff that didn't suck.

Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List - quote possibly the best season yet, on every level. Despite major setbacks in her personal life (too numerous and severe to go into here), Kathy's comedy was on-point all season long. But what really stood out for me was the "serious" stuff; i.e., the visit to death row, etc. Can't wait to see her next stand-up special, or the next season.

Damages - Even though this FX Networks drama is just getting started, I've enjoyed every single episode. Expertly written, acted and directed, each episode has been a shining beacon of what quality drama can, and should be.

Dr. Who - although I must admit to missing a couple of episodes, this Sci Fi Channel import from the UK continues to entertain on every level. Even my mom is hooked on the show now.

Chelsea Handler Lately - this late-night latest addition to the talk-show landscape has me in stitches nearly every time I watch it. We'll see if E! shows a little better judgment and keeps this show... or at least better judgment than it showed when it gave the thumbs-up to Sunset Tan or that show with Kim Kardashian. (Can anyone even tell me who the hell she is?)

Kyle XY - yes, this show blows, and blows on a weekly basis... but that's what makes it so much fun. I don't think I'll be back for another season after this one.

Countdown with Keith Olbermann - yes, as in the daily news program on MSNBC. If you haven't checked this show out yet, you need to. It is an amazing blend of news, satire and commentary... the kind this country could use more of. It's like The Daily Show, only for real.

No comments: