Thursday, May 31

NEW SUMMER SERIES

TRAVELER [ABC Networks] I caught the sneak preview of this show, and was immediately drawn in. Despite the been-there, done-that feel of the show's premise, I actually found the it compelling, and pretty suspense-filled. While it might seem like a cheap tactic, drawing on our national obsession with terrorism, this show deals with the topic in a mature, well-rounded manner.

I've only seen one episode, but this is one show I intend on watching for at least a couple of episodes.

As far as the the eye candy on this show... well, how do I say this... there isn't any. There is one character, who is supposed to be the poor(er), good looking guy with a heart of gold -- his friends in the show are very well-off -- that we're supposed to root for. He's cute enough to pull that off, but not much more.

My prediction: ABC's track record with sustaining the quality of its serial dramas is pretty spotty, so I'm guessing this show will only go one season.

CREATURE COMFORTS [CBS Networks] This show is one of the only new shows I'd label as a must-see... only because I've seen the UK version of this show, and it rocks.

This behind-the-scenes look at life in a zoo (from the point of view of the animals) is from the creative minds behind the Academy Award winning Wallace & Gromit series, which is also really great.

I'm not sure how this show will perform, on CBS's Friday night line-up, but it is nice to know there's a show on TV, each week, that families will be able to watch together. I used to watch The Muppet Show with my family, each and every week, and it remains a cherished memory. I'd like to say this show is as good as The Muppet Show was (and still is, upon viewing so many years later), but it isn't. It's great, in its own right, but nothing (in my mind) will ever top the Muppets, when it comes to family entertainment.

My prediction: fire up your TiVo, this is going to be a popular one!

No comments: