Thursday, May 31

SUMMER SERIES' RETURN (Part 3)

The final part of my series focusing on summer TV concludes with the three shows I'm looking forward to the most. I'll watch every episode of this show, and in some cases, I'll even watch the re-runs. They are (in no particular order):

MY LIFE ON THE D-LIST [Bravo Networks, Third Season] Kathy Griffin is one of my favorite stand-up gals, and the show that follows her daily life quickly became one of my favorite reality TV shows. Kathy is funny, and there's no debating it, but her funniest bits seem to come in her private life.

I've actually had the honor of meeting Ms. Griffin (a long time ago), and she was really sweet. And (wait for it...) funny. She was a participant in a home-version of Match Game for a pal's birthday bash, and she brought the house down every time she opened her mouth.

Kathy had a batch of bum luck, both career wise (when she got dumped from E!s live red carpet team) and personally (a nasty divorce), but it hasn't seem to affected her desire entertain her loyal fans (read: the gays).

Overall show rating: 8

DOCTOR WHO [Sci Fi Channel, BBC] I say, "season debatable" because Doctor Who is a show that has had many, many lives on UK television. I only started watching last year, because it was on after Heroes, but before Battlestar Galactica, on Sci Fi's Friday night line-up... it made for an amazing night of viewing.

I caught up on older episodes this year, and wasn't as impressed with the cast. The title role of The Doctor changes actors from time to time, it seems. I like the newer guy — and he was great in the last Harry Potter film. It also seems like they're switching side-kicks this new season, so I'm a little on the fence about this... but I'll give the show's new season a solid try.

The eye candy is non-existent on this show, but the writing, acting, FX and musical score are all top-notch. And I mean, top-notch... the kind you don't find on American TV shows.

Overall show rating: 7.5 (but could go up, depending on the new sidekick)

RESCUE ME [FX Networks, Third Season] This is, by far, one of the best TV shows of the past decade. In my humble, and only partially-informed opinion, Rescue Me outshines The Sopranos, The Closer and just about all the other dramas on cable right now. The writing is crisp, clean, and only bested by the acting. The LA Times recently handicapped the Emmy race this year, and Rescue Me was among the shows it placed out in front, to take home some statues this year. And I can't think of very many shows that would be as deserving.

It would be easy to make a show about firefighters in New York, and pull on out heart strings after what happened on September 11th, but this show rises above such simple tactics. (They've touched on it, once or twice, but have managed to avoid any cliches.) The show deals with a wide variety of issues, and manages to infuse the many story arcs with humor and pathos... not an easy feat.

As for the man-candy, this show offers up plenty. (Firefighters, 'nuff said!) But the good looking, hard bodied men fade into the background thanks to the phenomenal acting and writing.

Overall show rating: 9

No comments: