Tuesday, May 1

BADONKA-WHAT?

If you own a TiVo, or other DV-R device, you won't know what I'm talking about, but...

Recently, I've noticed a TV commercial for Subway sandwiches which I find rather offensive. In the spot, a couple pulls up to what looks like a fast food drive-thru and to place an order. They order items such as a "double chin," "blubber" and "thunder thighs," all to drive home the point that burgers and fries are "bad" for you.

Towards the end of the order, the wife (or female companion, whatever) orders a, "badonka-donk butt" -- which assigns negative connotations to big (healthy) butts.

Now, I'm not advocating a life of Big Macs and jumbo fries, but I find this ad culturally insensitive, and borderline (note, I said borderline) racist. This falls under the same umbrella as double-standards like white women who go to tanning salons to get all browned-up, but think that Mexicans are lower-class, just because they have dark skin. I mean, it isn't anything to get up-in-arms over, but...

*sigh*

wouldn't the world be a better place if we just stopped doing shit like this?

No comments: